VIC Divorced and Property Settlement In Australia

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

HMA

22 July 2019
Hi There
Just wanted to check
Me and my ex- got consent orders for property settlement in Melbourne in June 2017. Got divorced in Feb 2018.
Property settlement had some clauses related to indemnification of each other from assets and liabilities. My ex went back to India and filed a dowry and domestic violence case with Indian Police before the consent orders and divorce orders were made.

Marriage was first registered in Melbourne in 2013 and then we went back to India to perform traditional rituals.

Domestic Violence case was then lodged with Indian courts in June 2018.

Is there something legally I can do here in Australia to save me from all this harassment? and to protect my self from the binding consent orders made by family court in Australia?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is there something legally I can do here in Australia to save me from all this harassment?

You will likely need an Indian lawyer. You may need to seek an injunction in India stopping proceedings there as matters are already finalised here.

Also be careful about overseas travel while the allegations of violence are still before the Indian Courts in case an Interpol red notice has been issued.

HMA

22 July 2019
You will likely need an Indian lawyer. You may need to seek an injunction in India stopping proceedings there as matters are already finalised here.

Also be careful about overseas travel while the allegations of violence are still before the Indian Courts in case an Interpol red notice has been issued.

Thanks for your reply Rod

Is there something that I can do here in Australia to report the breach. Will this bind her to withdraw all the allegation in India.

Is there a way we can have a quick phone call?

Thanks

HMA

22 July 2019
Yes definitely, you can save yourself. You have to prove your local police and judiciary that you are innocent in this case and you have been dragged in this matter forcibly. As per my research, India has very strict sets of law for these kinds of cases so these types of cases become extremely sensitive and complicated so It's highly recommended to hire the best family lawyer in Perth who can fight for your rights.

Thanks William James

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au