WA Divorce proceedings when other party keeps delaying

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Evan87

26 November 2019
Hi!

I'm just chasing some info re: divorce proceedings. My marriage when I was 21 only lasted 6 months before we separated. I'm 32 now and have tried to initiate the divorce a few times over the years. We can talk and no-one gets upset, there are no kids, property or other assets involved.

The issues are:

1. She never has the money.
2. I can't remember what date we were married as we don't have a marriage certificate. We need the date to get a copy of the Australian marriage certificate to proceed with the divorce. Supposedly she has a Balinese copy somewhere (the wedding was in Bali) but doesn't want to look for it.
3. She says she's happy to do a joint application but as mentioned before, can't afford it/won't make time so I'm wondering whether to do a solo application?

If I do solo, do I need to attend court? Is the fee payable by myself only? Is it easy to do online?

Thanks for your time!

Kind regards,

Evan

sammy01

27 September 2015
Was the marriage registered in Australia? I'd have thought with your birth certificate / drivers licence - birth deaths and marriages would find the marriage certificate, then you can apply for divorce without the ex. It will cost a bit more but worth it to get it done.
Sole application, yep attend court, but all you do is stand up smile and the clerk of the court will stamp a piece of paper.
But get the marriage certificate first.... Just a thought - ask the ex the date of the wedding?

Evan87

26 November 2019
Thanks for your reply. Marriage was registered in Australia. I've tried to ask her the date but she continually dodges the question. I'll try and see if BDM will send me a copy of the marriage certificate with a few points of ID, although it does state on the website they need the date of marriage. Surely there's a way around it. I just want it to be over and done with now but she's making it slightly more difficult than it has to be.

It sounds like sole application will be the way to go even though it's more expensive, I just feel I need to get that part of my life and put it in the past. Going to court will be slightly difficult as I work fifo but I'm sure I could figure something out!

sammy01

27 September 2015
Get it sorted. Right now if you die she gets the lot.
I just looked at the form for WA mate write (unknown). I think they just want proof of ID.

Reactions: Evan87