VIC Divorce partner has stolen everything I own and cut contact

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Realrose

4 July 2018
I separated from my partner of 16 years in December. I left with my daughter and a suitcase and flew to nsw from vic. I own a doll collection worth $30,000 that he has stolen. He has cut contact and has everything that we own. How do I get it back or even half of our assets

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Initial court proceedings in the FCC or Family Court for a property split.

re: Getting back property. This is harder and depends on circumstances. I suspect from his side he may claim the property was abandoned. Without knowing a lot more, which is probably not appropriate for a forum, I'm hesitant to offer suggestions that may range from self-help to court action. See a lawyer with the detail and go from there.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Also be aware, even if you owned the doll collection before you got married, after 16 years of marriage, the court will generally say the doll collection is now a shared asset.
There is a magical and mystical court logic that assets slowly become the shared property of your partner over time even in a situation where they have not contributed ANYTHING to that asset whatsoever.
That is how you see rich businessmen having to give millions to the ex, even though the business was built before the wife came along and was not involved in the business AT ALL.