Divorce papers - what if I don't agree with what is written?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ThomasToo

15 May 2016
Hi, my soon to be ex, has sent me joint divorce application, already filled in and signed by her and the JP. Not all questions are accurately completed - for example, the financial and care arrangements for the children are not accurately represented/summarised, and questions that are reserved for me to answer have already been filled in.
I'm not keen to sign these papers with these inaccuracies, although I am fine with signing and sharing payment in principle. I have communicated to her my concerns yet I've been threatened with additional costs that i will have to bear, and non compliance of what we had agreed in our orders (sharing costs of filing fee, we didn't specifically agree to joint application, or where we agree with what is written in application)
Should I just sign, or what are the legal consequences of leaving it, and waiting for her to engage in proper joint application.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I would just highlight the inaccuracies and where your sections have been pre filled.. Tell them that you don't intend to sign it for those reasons..

If it's been filled in incorrectly as to particulars, tell them the correct particulars that should be included... There should not be any extra charge to do it correctly if they've got it wrong

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
She can always do a solo application that doesn't require your cooperation.