Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Divorce - How to Get Part of Proceeds from House Sale?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by zena, 1 June 2015.

Tags:
  1. zena

zena Active Member

Hello. My husband owned a house, he sold 5 months ago. Now we're getting a divorce.

I would like to know if there is anyway I can get any of the house money that he sold?

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

You have until 12 months after a divorce is finalised to pursue a property settlement. The house will only be included as part of the joint asset pool if you had a joint interest in it. For example, if you both lived at the house at some point, or both benefited from the rental income having it tenanted, it would be considered a property in which you have joint interest. If he purchased it several years after separation, however, and you have had no involvement in it, then it wouldn't be considered a joint interest. The first step for a property settlement is family dispute resolution and Legal Aid can provide this service to you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zena

zena Active Member

thank you for your reply...I would like to know is there anyway he can prevent me from taking part of the assets...and also..how can I prove that he still owns the money he got from selling the house if its not in his bank account