NSW Divorce after validation of PR visa

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

junaid

26 October 2017
Hi,

Need urgent help!!

I have got Australian PR in April, 2017 based on 189 Skilled Visa. I was main applicant and my wife was dependent.( Did not claim her marks ). We made our initial entery in Australia for few days only in August, 2017.
Now the main question. We got married almost 5 years ago and did not have any children. We saw many ups and downs in our relationship but we survived somehow. My wife insisted on getting divorce but every time i convinced her to give us more time and chance to fix it but unfortunately it looks now that its really not going to work anymore. Even though i do not want divorce to happen but there is no other way as she is persistent. My questions are:

1- if we get divorced now in our native country will it effect our PR?
2- As per Australian law we have to live in Australia separately minimum 12 months in order to file for divorce, i dont think so that she is gonna do that, i mean living with me and honestly i dont know her plans either she will come to Australia now or later or may b never.
3- If we get divorce in our native country do i need to inform DIBP about this? As i am not planning to get re-married again very soon or may be never as i am heart broken.

Regards,
Juanid

Clancy

6 April 2016
I do not know the answer to point 1 and 3, but point 2 i am pretty sure you are misunderstanding Australian law..... You have to be officially separated for 12 months, that's it. You can be in different countries or you can even still live in the same house! So long as you can prove the date that you separated. But it sounds like you are not in Australia at the moment? Try emailing Relationships Australia on how to register your official separation and what other help they can give you? If your in Australia and your 'heartbroken' they may be able to arrange some free counseling for you as well.

Also, the Australian government offers some free marriage counseling services because divorce is a big problem in Australia.... If by chance you got the opportunity to entice your wife to try Australian professional marriage counseling that is.