NSW Query on Completing Australian Citizenship Application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rupetz

17 February 2017
Hello,

I am applying for Australian citizenship and needed your help on the following:

I was charged with an offense, however, I was offered a diversion plan. I have successfully completed the plan and have received confirmation of completion from the diversion court with the charge being consequently discharged. I have even done an AFP check to see that I have a clean record.

Now as I am completing the citizenship application, I am faced with the following question. I'm not sure if I should tick yes or no and hence, would appreciate your kind suggestions on this regard.

(a) Have you been convicted of, or found guilty of, any offences overseas or in Australia (include all traffic offences which went to court, including offences declared in your permanent residence application, and any ‘spent’ convictions)?

Cheers

Hellen22

23 February 2017
I hope someone can answer you, but it's a good idea if you ring them up and explain so you are certainly sure to tick or not.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Hello,

I am applying for Australian citizenship and needed your help on the following:

I was charged with an offense, however, I was offered a diversion plan. I have successfully completed the plan and have received confirmation of completion from the diversion court with the charge being consequently discharged. I have even done an AFP check to see that I have a clean record.

Now as I am completing the citizenship application, I am faced with the following question. I'm not sure if I should tick yes or no and hence, would appreciate your kind suggestions on this regard.

(a) Have you been convicted of, or found guilty of, any offences overseas or in Australia (include all traffic offences which went to court, including offences declared in your permanent residence application, and any ‘spent’ convictions)?

Cheers
A diversion plan means that there is no finding of guilt and no conviction recorded. You can tick 'no'.

Reactions: rupetz

rupetz

17 February 2017
A diversion plan means that there is no finding of guilt and no conviction recorded. You can tick 'no'.
Thanks. That's what I did. The information line told me that they cannot tell me which answer to tick and asked me to put in a cover letter explaining my choice.

Very weird given you have no extra box to attach anything apart from what they ask.