QLD District Court - Director's Presence at Company's Proceeding?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

R_H

6 November 2018
Hello all,

Per the title of my post, I just wanted to find out the following:

1. In a commercial case (in this case as a defendant), if a company is being sued (district court), does the director of the company need to be present at the proceedings or is it sufficient to merely have the company's legal representative present?

2. If the answer to the above question is that that the director does generally have to be present, does this also apply for example when orders are being sought from the court for a deferral of the hearing date - so more procedural matters?

Thanks for any feedback on the above - I searched for a few hours and couldn't find the answers to the above.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Generally, someone with the relevant authority to make decisions for the client should be at all major hearings (i.e. a director, and at trial). Other than that, it's not usually necessary. Your lawyer should let you know what they want you present for.

R_H

6 November 2018
Generally, someone with the relevant authority to make decisions for the client should be at all major hearings (i.e. a director, and at trial). Other than that, it's not usually necessary. Your lawyer should let you know what they want you present for.

Great thanks for taking the time to respond Rob. I guess a director could also grant someone power of attorney to attend and make relevant decision on their behalf?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
As long as the power of attorney validly covers the type of decision, and the lawyer is comfortable taking instruction that way.