QLD Disputing liability in claim against me for damages when I wasn't driving

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rach1

21 February 2022
Hi, I'm wondering how to reply and dispute a claim from NRMA stating they have been provided information indicating Im responsible for damages to another vehicle.
The difficult part is the car is often used by numerous persons, so whilst I can speak for myself knowing I haven't experienced any incidents driving, I can only assume another person may have been responsible, though after further inspection to my car I can't see any damage at all to suggest it was in any accidents.
I contacted the insurer to ask the details of the claim and what evidence they have to accuse me of this and they say there's a police report. Im so baffled and explain that Ive had no communication with police and request the evidence they received. She told me I just need to fill out the incident description report they had sent me and put any questions on there. So what can I do and where does leave me?

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Hi Rach1,

It is hard to give you a proper response without getting much more details from you, e.g. are you the policy holder with NRMA, what is the nature of the car’s use, nature of the accident, nature of the claim, how did you know other people who use the car did not receive anything, what do you want to achieve etc. Your options range from specific communications with the insurer, to AFCA claim, to private claims.

Simpliest thing to do - call financial rights.org.au/about-us/contact-us 1300663464, they are independent free law services and they can help you with your options further. Disclosure - I have no affiliation with them, but I live with someone who work there doing insurance advice on the phone and your question sounded quite common thing they do there…

Good luck!
-Nighthelyn