SA Disputing Dentist Quote

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

okanynameyouwishthen

12 February 2015
Austral
Hey all, Last year I finally conquered my extreme fear of dentist & fronted up to once and for all fix a life of neglect that had left me more a hole in my face than a mouth ?!! Got my super fund to fit the bill & so all the quotes & paperwork duly got compiled ie: dentist,oral surgeon,hospital,anesthetist & after a few false starts it all happened & I lost the bet with a mate when I woke up again in recovery ward !
With the dentist quote they provided me it had two figures . One for the impressions & immediate dentures work & a separate figure for 3 month reline. The super fund doing what they do with your money scrogged on the reline quoted price & just paid the impressions & immediate s bill.
I laughed & thought I'd live with that & pay off the bill for relines when time came.
I knew there was going top be some wearing in etc. but these things were like someone else s ! I actually came to in recovery choking on one or both.
Well turns out when I went for reline the work was too big so she took new impressions that still needed work & said to come back in 2 month & gives me the bill on leaving.
The bill was now reline X 2 & another charge on top.
I'm not real happy as it's now nearly 4 months & still no choppers !!
When I go in next week for reline am I right to just pay what was quoted originally ?
Cheers
ok

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with your teeth.

However I need some more information about your situation. What did the original quote say? Did it give any disclaimers such as that it was a guide to the cost only?

Also, I assume from your explanation that when the second lot of impressions were taken that you were under a general anesthetic and so couldn't discuss the work that was going on/ about to happen?

I am trying to gauge whether you made an agreement for certain work to be done and then the oral surgeon has gone beyond the terms that you agreed to or whether you went in to have your teeth fixed without a concrete guarantee of the cost.

okanynameyouwishthen

12 February 2015
Austral
Hey Ivy, thanks for responding.I'll try & explain it better.I had no problem with the hospital or anesthetic or oral surgeon,when I got the guts I went to dentist who assessed the damage & talked options.Decided on full re-bore !! Ha. She had me in weeks later & took impressions sent them off & when she had them back I got called in to pick a co lour ( Lol ! ) & so the dentures were ready to fit.-she uses a preferred oral surgeon.Oral surgeons job was once in hospital & under cut in to upper & lower gums & remove remaining teeth & bits of & clean a cyst on jaw.I was told i would wake up all natural teeth & bits of gone.Said I'd have dissoluble stitching up & lower but dentures would be in - hence immediate dentures.Was told to go see her 2-3 weeks after surgery as a catch up.seen oral surgeon 3 weeks after surgery & he signed me off-wounds healing,no infections & told last few stitches were nearly dissolved.Went back to dentist as the dentures were not staying in.They done a bit of grinding & heating & refitting before saying they'd take other impressions as the bottom one needed too much work !! So in with the waxy stuff again (impressions) went back next day & still needing work.I admit I said look just tell me when you want me back when all swelling & movement finished & i'll do it.That was 2 months ago & I'm in next week.I thought as you the oral surgeon maybe got a bit creative & shaved/shaped ridges bit more than expected !1 I do realize they take LOTS of getting used to & expected a bit of hit/miss to begin with but I think problem was I wasn't too confident with the whole"sell" I got as to my mind if your face has just been battered & closed incisions with loads of threads/knots yeah I'm sure the oral could've jammed them in whilst under but once stitches gone & ridges settle down there's lot of difference ! But once I'd got in somewhere after so many nearly s I was determined to not bail out.I don't want to stress out & not go back !! I'd like to think I'm up for a bit of grind/heat & in they go ....just get used to them but i think it's bit rude to bill me the extra & last year what it was personally I am so over arguing about every damn thing I touch,buy,enter into etc..

Ivy

10 February 2015
Do you have any paperwork to accompany what is going on? You need to look at any documentation you have been given and see whether it tells you what you have signed up for.

Your Super fund would have required detailed documentation stating what work you were having done on your teeth so start there.

If they have given you a quote for the entirety of the work and now they are charging you more, then you may have a case for not paying the extra. The documentation and what you have been told is important.

If you are confused, call up the dentistry and ask them to explain why you are being charged more when you were quoted a set amount.

okanynameyouwishthen

12 February 2015
Austral
Thanks....I was trying to get a bit of opinion before I

teefquote.jpg Photo by bbbobbb6969 | Photobucket

heres the quote I got .I just folded the letter head over to avoid any possible comeback Lol !! Which is my point in seeking opinions before I put my foot down. I wont go into but last year was a killer for me.....constant battles,dramas,void warranties,crap merchandise,family dust-up's etc etc . I'm so sick of having to fight, argue,demand if you know what I mean.
? I reckon I'l end up having to pay as it doesn't actually say much really.-their favour i suppose !! On that 'quote' I paid the 106..? Super done the big middle figure & as i say It was constantly that sort of stuff all year.I just was going to pay $ 200 at reline & instalment plan the otheR $ 200.Was about 7 weeks ago now she done all the stuff I mentioned earlier before we agreed to wait 2 months to settle.Was waiting at reception for appointment card & i got that & big shock