VIC DHS - Is This Considered as Discrimination?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Samanatha

8 March 2017
Hello,

Long story short - DHS called and said that my friend can't visit because I have a past with them and there were orders on me but had them removed last year. Isn't that discrimination? What can I do? Coz if they're saying this about my friend, it's the same as saying if I have another kid to my husband, they will remove it

Also they issued me with a hourboring order because I took my friend in when she ran away from home and refused to go home and I heard that it needs to be signed by a judge to be legal, is this true? If not, can I do anything about it?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Samantha,

No that isn't discrimination. Discrimination is if they treated you differently from others based on something like your race, age or sex. The court thinks your friend is not safe to be with you. So obviously you are over 18 and your friend is under 18?

You need to take the harbouring order seriously. A breach of this order can result in a $10,000 penalty. The court has deemed your friend is not safe with you and as such they have put this restriction in place. I don't think there is anything you can do.

Samanatha

8 March 2017
Hi Samantha,
No that isn't discrimination. Discrimination is if they treated you differently from others based on something like your race, age or sex. The court thinks your friend is not safe to be with you. So obviously you are over 18 and your friend is under 18?

You need to take the harbouring order seriously. A breach of this order can result in a $10,000 penalty. The court has deemed your friend is not safe with you and as such they have put this restriction in place. I don't think there is anything you can do.

No, the court hasn't. It's only the actual DHS worker that thinks that. They haven't even done an assessment or inspection. The only reason they give is because of my past, and they called it a harbouring letter.

Nothing has gone to court - it's only what DHS workers themselves have said. The letter is only signed by a DHS manager, so if we have a baby they can just say all this again and remove it? Keep in mind the orders that prevented me from having a child in my care was removed through the court and they said the case was closed.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Why was there an order stopping you from having a child with this person?

Samanatha

8 March 2017
Hi Samantha,

why was there an order stopping you from having a child with this person?

The order was about my first child to a different father.It was removed and we have her every 2 weeks for the weekend now, but all DHS ever say including that person's manager, is they have deemed it unsafe for a child to stay there because of my past.

They also refuse to do an assessment or inspection. They never say anything else, as I said she is just a friend we are trying to help out. She refuses to return to her dad's home as she gets mentally and emotionally abused and resorts to drugs, alachol and cutting herself

Samanatha

8 March 2017
I would also like to add that I spoke to someone from legal aid Victoria. They said DHS had no right to use my past against us and that it had to be based on the current and now and the same thing for that harbouring letter.

We called them again to find out the reasons why and after we told them what Legal Aid said, DHS told me that 'yes, we can use your past because we're DHS', and once again only said this because of my past.

Also they made a threat saying if we didn't want DHS involved in our future kids when we have one that we had to tell them where my friend is otherwise they will be.

What can I do to put a stop to this once and for all?

okanynameyouwishthen

12 February 2015
Austral
That's sounds insane !!!!! Love to get an update on your case love as you seem to have poked the mega- bearacratic muppet breed of DHS pleb, & by humbug them critters can latch onto a young person with all their ageist feral barking. Seriously, hope the gimp layed off ya case hon.!! :)
cheers