VIC DHS (Human Services) - Adoption Australia and Childrens Court Order?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Missii

12 October 2014
If DHS (Human Services) are involved and the get granted a Guardianship to Secretary Order, if one of the parents have relinquished their right in another court hearing, does the relinquished parent still get a say and still need to be involved in further court cases if they choose to? Can they still get updated on what's happening with their children or be involved with their children if they change their mind?

Also if the mother was given a condition where she can ask the court to change any conditions that she wanted to if DHS get Guardianship to Secretary and if her rights are relinquished, can she still ask the court to change any conditions? Or is it not valid in family law court?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi @Missii
Yes, it appears that if a Guardianship to Secretary Order is granted, the parent can make arrangements with the child protection worker to stay in contact and see their child. Human Services generally encourages parents to keep in touch with their children. If the Order is a regular Guardianship to Secretary Order then it will usually last for 12 months, up to a maximum of 2 years. If its a Long-Term Order, then it lasts until the child is 18 (but reviewed every 12 months). The parent can still seek to make changes, or go to the Childrens Court to seek to get the Order revoked.

Please read for further information:
Human Services: Guardianship to Secretary Order - Information for parents.
Human Services: Long-Term Guardianship to Secretary Order - Information for parents.

I hope this helps.

Missii

12 October 2014
DHS on the last court case they were going to go for a long-term Guardianship to Secretary Order but that has been postponed until a later date.... Due to the circumstances involved I have been told by DHS since the father is found guilty due to the investigation that was carried out by law enforcement that the adoption process can go ahead ....What would be the adoption process with DHS involved? Would my current relationship with me child affect the adoption in any way? & Would I still be able to be part of my childs life as she grows and get updates?