QLD Desperate for advice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CB10

15 February 2019
Hi, I realise this is an Australian forum but we are desperate for any advice. I am 67 my wife is 69. We moved here from NZ a year ago. Since then my wife has become ill. I am a Kiwi, my wife is an NZ Resident here on a 461 with at least a year before granted. I have over $50,000 debt in NZ. Because of medical bills and time off work, our savings are almost gone, we have no assetts, we rent a flat, do not even run a car. So our questions are:

If my debts were sold to an Australian collections agent, does that debt then become Australian?

If I go bankrupt in NZ can the NZ Insolvency service access our bank accounts here. The reason for this question is, we are trying to save for a car so I can take my wife to her various medical appointments, also for my wifes medication, she is having surgery in 3 weeks and her medical insurance only partly covers her.

THANK YOU.

kevin586

14 January 2019
Hi, I realise this is an Australian forum but we are desperate for any advice. I am 67 my wife is 69. We moved here from NZ a year ago. Since then my wife has become ill. I am a Kiwi, my wife is an NZ Resident here on a 461 with at least a year before granted. I have over $50,000 debt in NZ. Because of medical bills and time off work, our savings are almost gone, we have no assetts, we rent a flat, do not even run a car. So our questions are:

If my debts were sold to an Australian collections agent, does that debt then become Australian?

If I go bankrupt in NZ can the NZ Insolvency service access our bank accounts here. The reason for this question is, we are trying to save for a car so I can take my wife to her various medical appointments, also for my wifes medication, she is having surgery in 3 weeks and her medical insurance only partly covers her.

THANK YOU.

"If my debts were sold to an Australian collections agent, does that debt then become Australian?" - I cannot be certain but I don't think so as its registered in NZ and would come under NZ law.

Reserch NZ/AU trade and legal treaties, that kind of thing.