WA Derogatory Msgs Found on Colleagues Company Phone

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kc8

23 July 2019
Hi -
So after some advice. Colleague is away on leave for afew months and i have come across afew text msgs spanning back until 2017 on his phone. Afew conversations about me between himself and another colleague I work with.

The msgs are hurtful, suggesting I don't work. Whinging about me etc.

Now I work in a small office of 5 people. Myself included in this 5. I haven't officially taken it to hr yet but I'm feeling really hurt and lost as to what my options are now. I really do not want to to continue working with these people. It is not a healthy work environment for my mental health anymore. But I feel my only option is to leave.

Can I request a redundancy?
If there is no reasonable way for me to internally transfer can this request be made?

Should I take it further and file an official complaint?

Atticus

6 February 2019
I understand why you may feel taken aback by reading these, but, to keep it in context... this was a private conversation between two people which I assume you were not meant to see.

If you are not happy there anyway then why not look elsewhere, or seek a transfer, but I don't think you finding this private message is grounds for a complaint. Just my thoughts

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The message are grounds for a complaint, and possibly defamatory.

BUT, in a small work environment it might be better to suck it and keep your head focussed on work. Else look elsewhere for work.