VIC Deposit on house but no keys after 9 weeks

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Robert Brass

26 May 2016
My wife, 4 kids and I have been sleeping on mattresses and couches for 9 weeks now after we were accepted from a lady (not through an agent) to move into her house 20/3/17. I have handed over $1000 in cash as a deposit and now, 25/5/17, we have not received the keys for the property after several excuses made by her and several "move in" date changes that just keep happening. I gave her until 7:30pm tonight to give up the keys or my $1000 or I will be filing for legal action. All our furniture has been in 2 storage sheds (6 people = lots of stuff) and I have taken days off work for dates she has given us for moving in only to be told by her that the date has changed! What I want to know, is what are my legal standings and what can and can't I sue for? I want reimbursement of the $1000, the storage costs from when we were first told we could move in, all days taken off to move, any other costs directly relating to the property and also stress compensation for the family as it has nearly torn our family apart because of it.

Tripe

22 May 2017
Hi

Did you have a written contract?

If not, I think you will struggle to prove a lot of your claims,

If you go in front of a
Judge you will need a lot more than just a hard luck story.

You should write a letter of demand listing what the issue is and what you need done to fix the situation, and what you will do if the situation is not fixed. (This will have some currency in front of a judge )

Most states have a tenants union Etc, that will offer some free advice.