VIC Financial Hardship - Letter of Demand for Excess Costs?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JasmineCherie

16 June 2018
I was involved in a car accident where the other person claims I was at fault. I have received a letter of demand from their lawyer to pay costs in excess of $10,000.

I am currently on Centrelink benefits as income only and have no significant assets (ie. Car, house, etc). What should my response be and what happens if they try to take me to court?

I am already in financial hardship and have no possible means of paying.

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
Can I ask the following:

Was your car registered?

Did you have insurance?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If the matter of who was at fault is in dispute, then don't pay anything until it's resolved. If the Court is needed to resolve it, then so be it.

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Probably get third party insurance at a minimum. If you can't afford to pay for damage you could potentially cause then insurance is a good idea.

Since you don't have insurance you will need to fight it yourself. If you have insurance they deal with it.

EDIT: Did the Police attend, if so, who got a ticket? Who gets a ticket doesn't always determine liability but its usually a good indicator.

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
Try describing the situation in here, maybe we can give us some opinions on who's at fault.