WA Defective extension built

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by TaylaB, 16 September 2018.

1. TaylaB

TaylaB Member

We appointed a builder to build an extension to our home. We have since found out it was built without footings. The council refuse to let us rent it out, or return to live as occupants, or sell it until the work has been rectified, which will cost a fortune. The work was completed seven years against, but it only came to light in August last year. Do I have a case under consumer law to pursue the builder?

2. Paul Cott

Paul Cott Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified

Hi Tayla, you more likely have a case under the relevant domestic Building legislation in your State rather than consumer law. In Victoria, or example you may be able to take your matter to VCAT against the builder. Good luck.

3. DMLegal

DMLegal Well-Known Member

You have a case, but probably better to sue on your contract with the builder (providing there was one) or relevant building legislation as Paul advised. ACL only covers up to $40k anyway, I imagine the extension would have cost more, but if not, I still wouldn’t recommend taking action under ACL.

Paul Cott likes this.
  4. David1122

David1122 Active Member

We delegated a developer to construct an augmentation to our home, we have since discovered it was worked without footings, the board decline to give us a chance to lease it out, or come back to live as tenants, or offer it until the point when the work has been redressed, which will cost a fortune...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...