QLD DEFAMATION

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Peace

18 April 2020
My brother made up many lies to get a DVO against me so he could become EPOA for my father, sold dads house without notifying me along with a list of other terrible lies told to my father all for money. His wife studied law so knew exactly what to do and how to do this, by not answering the phone, text messages, Facebook etc then called it harassment, intimidation, threats, problems caused in their marriage although l have only been to their home about twice in their 35-year marriage. l was only calling them as my fathers neighbours had seen my sister in law moving all my father's belongings from the house while he was in hospital after being left in a wheelchair. My furniture along with other belongings were stored in the house and they had also changed locks and told me nothing. They had me up for defamation by using the same manipulating ways and lies. l was going to fight them regarding the DVO and had turned up at the court to do just that but was talked into letting it go through without admission (by a duty lawyer ) and was given 2yrs which was up last November but regret not fighting them. l was on a walking stick at the time as I had damaged my hip and shoulder after lifting my stepfather after a fall caused by his dementia in 2013, it took me about 4 years to get back to walking. l have another 2 Concerns Notices for defamation yet again for sharing something on Facebook after the DVO was up which I am dealing with at present, they want $$ and apology. l have been reading a lot about Definition and you have 9 months to act against lies, but they also say 3 years under special circumstances? The circumstances being l could not walk at the time and was in terrible pain and looking after my sick elderly mother and stepfather which I am still doing. Surely l have a right, to tell the truth even though I am still not well and have to exercise daily to keep walking? Surely l have a right to sue for defamation after all the lies they have told for money which is they are still doing?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hard to say.

Sounds like you have 2 causes of action against your brother.

You should see a lawyer.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You report the page and wait for the admin to delete it. Generally admin doesn't remove a post unless it breaks a rule of the forum or is against the law. Your post doesn't satisfy either criteria but you can try.

Peace

18 April 2020
How do I contact administration? I can only find technical support.

Peace

18 April 2020
There should be a way that you have the ability to change or remove a post just like on Facebook and Review sites, we should have the control to change anything we post.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
we should have the control to change anything we post

Why should you have such control? The publisher of the website does, and reserves that right in the Terms of Use (see clauses 9.1 and 12.4 at Terms of Use). In some small respects (yes, there are many fundamental differences) posting here is like submitting a letter to the newspaper that is subsequently published. You can't demand the newspaper delete the copies after it's been published and disseminated.

This is an 'educational' forum. My understanding for part of the reasoning for making sure posts remain is so that someone who may have a similar issue can come to read the post and replies, and possibly find an answer to their question without the 'wheel having to be re-invented'.