QLD Defamation from Ex-Employer and Staff - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

EmRy

21 April 2016
I recently was fired. After a couple of days, I was replaced with a current stylist who had been renting a chair at the salon. I had my assumptions as to the motivation to my dismissal but did not act on these assumptions as I had no proof.

Now two weeks later, I have had numerous communication from the current staff and even my ex-employers regarding false claims towards my conduct during my employment. Again, I was angry and hurt but didn't act as I viewed the claims as trivial and childish.

For the last two days, I have been contacted by a client at the salon after her used extensions were mixed in with some of my belongings I had taken from the salon after I was terminated. When I checked, I actually could only find 1/2 her extensions. I had not even been at the salon the day her extensions were stored away for the client.

My client has informed me during her time at the salon she was continuously told by the manager (my replacement) that I had been very unprofessional during my employment at the salon and I must have taken her hair because I often did salon clients at home even while employed. This is completely untrue. My client was then asked to screenshot messages I was sending to her regarding her extensions.

The matter was not resolved and the owner then contacted the client today to inform her they were not going to replace any missing extensions as I had stolen them from the salon and it's my fault.

I have been extremely distressed about the accusation of theft, as it was not theft and I had even told both the staff at the salon and the client on the day I was informed of the missing extensions that I would definitely sort them out and someone could get them from my house (I don't drive so couldn't get to salon).

My concern now is, after hearing the willingness of the owners and mangers to tell clients such defamatory things about me, this could lead me to lose clients and potential clients if this information spreads in the Gold Coast.

I would like to know what I can do regarding this situation of defamation, please. I have not received reimbursement for the money I invested in the salon and have not been allowed to take the remainder of my belongings from the salon. I was not paid tax or super either. I was happy to walk away and start my own thing without having to put up a fight for my rights as I didn't want to drag things on. However, I now am concerned that their remarks will now affect my chances of building a new clientele.

Thank you for your help and time

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Get a lawyer to write a letter on your behalf and send it to them. The lawyer will know what to write after you explain your circumstances.

EmRy

21 April 2016
Get a lawyer to write a letter on your behalf and send it to them. The lawyer will know what to write after you explain your circumstances.

Thank you for your reply...

Do you think I have a case for defamation? Also what are the average lawyer fees to write a letter?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not sure of fees. A local suburban lawyer is all you need. Not possible for me to clearly say yes or no. Needs someone with full access to all facts to comment. It face value you may have a cause of action, but the matter is complicated because you did take some property that didn't belong to you, even if it was accidental.