QLD Defamation By My Neighbour?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joshua 12

11 June 2015
My neighbour is saying horrible things about me to the neighborhood slandering my name and told my co workers these rumors as well. As a result, I might lose my job. Is this defamation?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Joshua12,

What are these "rumours"? And how are they being spread to your employer?

If these statements are untrue and not based on reasonable grounds of belief, then you may have an action in defamation. To understand more about defamation, have a read of "have you been defamed? What you need to know about defamation law in Australia" and see if your matter ticks its boxes.

Another matter to consider is the cost of pursuing a defamation case compared with the compensation you're seeking (or loss incurred as a result). Is it worth such an action? Before pursuing a defamation action, consider applying for an injunction to restrain your neighbour (if it's just specific people) from spreading negative false statements about you.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Joshua,

Try the following:
I suggest contacting your local community legal centre first. They offer free advice and can help you in how to apply for an injunction in QLD. Otherwise, contact QCAT to enquire about initiating this procedure. You can also look into mediation with your neighbour. This is a free service and may resolve your dispute without having to resort to court.