Defacto relationship?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maureen19

12 May 2019
My question is whether a 14 month domestic partnership (was in a relationship with them for 9 months) and lived together for an additional few months could potentially be a de facto.

If anyone has had personal experience with this I would be very grateful for your advice. I know the legal definition of a de facto in Australia is 2 years with some exceptions. I feel like my contributions as a homemaker (no kids) for 10 months were significant.

Has anyone had their relationship considered de facto where there were no children?

sammy01

27 September 2015
10 months - doesn't consitute defacto. As you noted 2 years is the definition of defacto...Even if it was a 2 yr relationship (living together) that would not automatically entitle either party to a claim on the other partner's assets. Family law looks at the duration of the relationship. So at 2-3-4-5 even 6 yrs it would seem reasonable that each party takes out what they brought into the relationship.

Your 10 month contribtuion as homemaker was significant, but would be considered equal to a partner who worked to contribute financially towards funding the home.