QLD Deceased Mother's estate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
9 May 2020
November of 2019 my Mother passed away. We were unaware of any Will, however my and three of my sisters are down as beneficiaries on life insurance (no binding). She had a partner who she lived with for a year however she never had her name down on any bills. Our concern was that he would try to claim part or all of the estate which was never my mother's intention.

So not wanting to make any mistakes in the process we got a lawyer. He said he would make the process easy. That he would get all the paper work ready to claim and get power of administration once the six month wait was over to be able to legally claim the estate. Well those six months were up a month ago and Rest super contacted us asking if we wanted to claim. Turns out they have not received any paperwork with our certified identification, not intent to claim, and no application for power of administration. They have received nothing. The lawyer has been a hassle to contact through the whole thing and it feels like he is just beating us around the bush. And now we are worried that we will lose out on everything due to his lack doing anything.

It has mad a stressful situation more stressful.

How do we get the lawyer to sort this out and actually communicate with us?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Was there an agreement for services signed with this lawyer?.... Did it require any money be paid?....did you pay it?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If your solicitor is failing to respond adequately and you’ve made reasonable attempts to get their attention, have a read here: Complaints about lawyers