LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Deceased Estate - Probate and Assets as Joint Tenants?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Sylviane Darbellay, 17 March 2015.

1. Sylviane Darbellay

Deceased estate. In Inventory of property, there are 2 sections: Assets owned solely by deceased and Assets owned as joint tenants with another or others. What I would like to know is whether the value of the house owned as joint tenants is to be included in the Gross value of the estate or only property owned solely by the deceased is to be declared as gross value of the estate.

2. hlly

hlly Well-Known Member

Generally property owned with another as joint tenants will revert to them upon death and is not part of the estate. A person can fix this by changing their interest in the property to one of a tenant-in-common.

3. Sylviane Darbellay

Thank you hlly, but your reply does not answer my question, I am sorry. What I want to know is whether an asset registered as joint tenants should be added to the assets owned solely by the deceased when making a declaration as to the total value assets

4. winston wolf

winston wolf Well-Known Member

Are you referring to a probate application or some other reason?