NSW Deceased Estate and Will - Deed of Family Arrangement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MrPickles

8 March 2016
I am hoping someone can reassure/assist.

My recently died, and her will leaves 1/4 of the deceased estate to each of her two nieces and the remaining half to her surviving sister under some sort of complicated trust arrangement. I have been advised that there is a Deed of family arrangement being drawn up to dissolve the trust and have been told that I will need to sign this. Included is a "Release of claim against the estate".

Does this mean if I sign it, I am effectively signing away my right to the 1/4 of the estate as bequeathed by my aunt?

I have been done over once before in regards to my mother's will and I'm afraid that my family is intent on ripping me off yet again.

Help, please!

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Can't really tell from the information provided.

I would strongly suggest independent legal advice with something like this.

Reactions: MrPickles

MrPickles

8 March 2016
Cant really tell from the information provided.
I would strongly suggest independent legal advice with something like this.

Thank you, I just managed to get on to the Solicitor / Executor and he explained it in full for me. It means in this case, all parties just give up the right to ask for more and accept what given. Phew. :) Hopefully, this time around will be much less stressful.