QLD debt occurred in relationship

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nat 2015

8 February 2017
hi i waist a defect relationship for 22 yrs before i left for approx 6 yrs i helped run his business, i left almost 12 months ago, no property settlement has been finalised he keeps offering me amounts, but i have been told not to accept without legal advice which i have and legal aid have told me the pool is too big for them and i would have to get another lawyer to look at it which i cant afford. my question is my ex now want s me to pay half of his business tax bill which is nearly $50k, i don't currently work i am on unpaid leave to care for my baby, and my only income is from government benefits, he doesn't pay regular child support and wont be truthful about his wage he works for himself and pays a lot of people in cash so it cant be traced, he also has started to give away my property and property we had whilst in the relationship, i left with 6 bags of clothes and nothing else due to domestic violence. its been really hard for me and the children.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Nat, you might be better off in the Family law section.

Some advice though, you can seek out a lawyer that will accept payment when property settlement takes place.

My ex did the same thing with the tax for the business. It can be split as part of the settlement.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Either seek out a lawyer from Law Answer's list and ask them about paying fees on settlement OR look up Queensland's Women's Legal Service and ask for a referral.

nat 2015

8 February 2017
Ok, before I left he had a bas bill of 12k I haven't been part of the business since December last year and now the bill is $50k

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I think it will be something your lawyer will have to try and negotiate with him/his lawyer. Same situation happened with me. The tax bill doubled in the year after I left the relationship and he stopped completing BAS and making payments. He has hired a dodgy accountant who lodged a tax return the next year (AFTER I'd done my tax return when I'd worked as an employee on PAYE for the whole year) with both of us as partners in the business even though he started as a sole trader when I left.

It's unfair and I'm sick of getting done over by him more than 2 years later after I finally left.

Please look into finding a lawyer who will help you get what you are entitled to. If I remember rightly, you still have young children.

Reactions: nat 2015