QLD Debt Collector just settled how long until default gone?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Broncos4ever

13 March 2019
after a year fighting I have an offer to settle the debt. when I pay them, how long til default gone from my report?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Default listings and judgments last 5 years. Serious credit infringements last 7 years.

Reactions: Broncos4ever

Broncos4ever

13 March 2019
But when I pay now I have settlement offer, it can be removed? As it is full and final settlement offer?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Default listings should only be removed if they have been improperly recorded in the first place. They are not removed as a matter of course.

However, if the terms of the settlement deed provide the default listing will be removed then that's another matter. However, I will say that it is an offence to remove a default listing which is accurate, for which the person removing can facce a civil penalty (not your concern, and I've yet to hear of it actually being done).

Reactions: Broncos4ever

Broncos4ever

13 March 2019
Ok thanks, yes debt collector said once details settled and paid in full, they will remove listing.

kevin586

14 January 2019
You should have made removal of the default on any credit reference organisation a condition of settlement.