Debt collection chasing me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Wheelnut

15 October 2018
hello
I have a debt for unpaid tolls for about $3000 the collectors added about $1000 for there fees. I made an offer to pay $120 per month
The debt collectors are now asking me for all of my financial information. They want my full income and expenses
Do I need to supply them with this ?
Am I legally required to ?
They are telling me if I don’t supply it they will go to court adding further cost to me
Any information would be greatly appreciated

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Do you have to supply it? No. Do they have to offer you a payment plan at this stage? No. I'm sure you can see the correlation.

Reactions: Wheelnut

Wheelnut

15 October 2018
Thanks very much for your reply
I am not certain what you mean by this Rob.
Do you mean that I should supply it because they are being kind by not chasing the total debt in a lump sum payment ?
I don’t want to run away from the debt I genuinely do want to pay it that’s why I offered an amount to pay it off. However I just think they are a bit forceful in demanding my total income and expenses and supporting documents or suggesting that they will add further cost to the bill

Could you please elaborate further Rob ??

I have never been in this situation before and I would like to clear it up

Thanks again

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You're wanting them to accept a payment plan instead of pursuing you for the full amount now. From their perspective, they want to know (a) that you're not faking that you can't afford to pay, and possibly (b) trying to ensure that you'll be able to afford to make the payments you negotiate. There's no point agreeing to a payment plan that you can't service.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If you want to avoid the possibility of court proceedings (i.e. more paperwork), I would.

WAbloke

14 October 2018
Do you have a contract with the debt collector?

Write to them and tell them that you will only communicate with them in writing and no other way. Any other contact with you may constitute harassment.

Do not ever talk to them one on one because sooner or later you will say something you regret

some people have found this site useful - there are 3 letters on there to use. Its an english website but the advice and info has helped many see debt collectors off.

The community ( debt, health and well being ) - Portal