NSW Debit Collection - Solicitor of Former Partner

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

M Honcho

21 August 2019
I've been divorced for some time now and it would appear my former partner has not paid a solicitor that was involed in our legal matter some time ago. Parenting and property settlements have been finalised, again some time ago so I certainly hope I'm no-longer finacially liable for any debti but I need to respond to a debit collector that's trying to contact my ex.

I'm concerned that I'll be foreced to formally seek more legal advice to understand precisely where I stand and I'd really like to avoid that unecessary explense.

Am I liable for any debit my ex obtained whilst we were married and can I just tell the debit collection company to conatact my ex and provide them with the appropriate contact information or should I be seeking formal legal advice by contacting my solicitor?

Atticus

6 February 2019
First rule is if you are unsure, don't acknowledge the debt...

If the debt was for her legal fees in family law proceedings then it is her debt. If that's the case, then you should tell them that... No requirement for you to provide contact info If you don't want to in that case