QLD Dealer Got Car Finance for Me - Fraud?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

falcon13

13 March 2016
I had a very bad experience buying a motor vehicle. The car was registered in my name 4/12/2015 and was delivered to me 5/12/2015. On the 7/12/2015, I was contacted by the dealer and told the car finance was declined but he said leave it with him.

Later that same day, he called and told me he got finance from another company.

I signed that agreement 9/12/2015. My question is, the way he got the second finance, is it legal or fraudulent, in any way?

Thank you

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Some finance companies have different thresholds for who they will and won't approve for finance, so while one rejects the application, another may approve it. This doesn't mean it has been obtained illegally or fraudulently.

falcon13

13 March 2016
I understand, but I had already had taken delivery of the car and the finance was applied for after I had the car for 3 days.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The relevance of that depends on the contract for the purchase of the car, but the way it works ordinarily is the lender gives the dealership the money for the car, so whether you have possession of the car or not at that time is of no concern to the bank, it's only of concern to the dealer in the event that finance continues to be rejected and they need to recover the car for non-payment.