WA DCP Couple seperation question

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

NeedinAdvice

4 November 2020
Ok so I have a situation... My girlfriend and I have been in a relationship now for over a year, we have known each other since we were 3 years old. She has 2 children to an ex partner who creates a lot of issues. I do suspect my partner is either possibly bi-polar or has some other mental problem as our relationship has been incredibly up and down the entire year we have been together. Despite all this, we love each other 110% and know that we were made for each other.

There is a lot of pressure in our home which is a mix of the ex causing problems to get a laugh and caused by her natural instinct to look after her children but not exactly being able to clearly see at all times that I want her and her children in my life and I am devoted to a life with her and her children and making that life the best possible for all of us. Because of this we do have a fair few fights or misunderstandings that get well above the level they should in terms of raised voices or screaming out of sheer frustration. I hate that it ever gets to this level and want better for all of us. Please keep all comments of judgement to yourself in any replies as I do realise the situation is terrible and not acceptable and do not need it right now.

This morning she received a call (unknown to me at the time) from DCP. A friend who has been with her today has just come back to the house and filled me in on what has transpired. I should have known something was up as the last thing my partner did before she left this morning was come and write on my arm "I will always love you and only you...". So apparently DCP gave her the choice to either have the police do an investigation into the lives of myself, her and her ex partner or she could be placed in a protection type program for a while with her children for a sort of cool off period for everyone to seek help to better the situation should it go forward. Knowing how stressed she has been lately i understand why she opted for this choice as much as I know it will be hurting her beyond belief.

My questions are this:

1. In this situation, how long can I expect her and her children to be in this protective home situation?
2. Will she be allowed to contact me at all during this period? If so when?
3. What are the best things I myself can be doing to show DCP that we are devoted to each other, this relationship and most importantly the safety and well being of her children and providing a safe and happy home environment?

She was only taken away this afternoon and already I miss her like oxygen. We have been best friends since we were 3 years old and she is everything to me. Any advice to reassure me of the situation would be so incredibly helpful as I have had no information provided to me by DCP, the police or anything. All I know is she has chosen this to protect herself and children and to get some of the help she needs. What can I do in the mean time to make sure the best result from all this?

Thanks in advance.