SA Dating someone older then me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Wolfia

16 March 2020
I am a 16 y.o female and I was wondering if me or the person I am seeing would be breaking any laws dating, the person I am seeing is a 26 y.o female but we are not sexual, just don’t want her to get in trouble, the only things we do is cuddle and kiss very rarely and i am usually the one initiating it, other then that we just go on dates and hang out and make sure we take things slow and get to know eachother

Atticus

6 February 2019
You are under the age of consent.... kissing & cuddling is sexual in nature. Being much older she is in a positiion of power & her actions could be construed as grooming..

If seen & reported she could get into serious trouble

Wolfia

16 March 2020
If we stop the kissing and cuddling would we be ok and not breaking any laws? And what age would it be legal for us to be sexual?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Age of consent in SA is 17. I'm not sure. Some states (crazy I know) actually have 18 for homosexual relationships. Not sure if SA does.

Is your girlfriend working in a position like teaching or a position that sees her come into contact with you as part of her work? If so then that could be problematic.

Have a read

Reactions: Atticus

Wolfia

16 March 2020
No she’s not working in a position like teaching or anything, we were friends before we started seeing eachother, I started taking more of an interest in hanging out with her more cause she was a good influence on me compared to my other friends my age and she’s gotten me to cut down my drinking allot and got me to quit smoking and look after my health more and just showing me I don’t need to drink or anything like that to have fun. and us being stupid we caught feelings which I don’t really mind but just want us to be safe and her not get in trouble, so just trying to figure out what boundaries we need to set for us to not get in legal trouble

Reactions: Atticus

sammy01

27 September 2015
I just re-read the stuff about SA - It clearly states 17 for both hetro and homosexual... NB - I'd strongly encourage you to read the link I sent. I reckon it suggests any intimacy before 17 could be problematic.