SA Damage Caused by Removalists - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Timnuts

7 April 2016
Hi,

We had our house possessions transported by removalists over 6 months ago. They damaged 3 items - my 55-inch flat screen, my partner's light and sound picture, and had put a hole in one of my lounges. The total replacement cost would approximately be $2500- $3000.

I paid for insurance, inclusive of hourly rate and if so, I thought this matter would have been finalised. I have done a search. The buisness is running under an ABN for another buisness he is or isn't running and I feel that he never had insurance.

I have discussed this matter with the owner and have emailed everything he wanted, eg. pictures, etc. with no response. Can anyone give me any help for this situation?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Send a letter of demand via registered post with photos of the damage and evidence of valuation and give them 30 days to respond. Doesn't matter that he already has some of this evidence. Package it up again and send with the letter of demand.

If you don't get a satisfactory response then start a SACAT case.

Reactions: Timnuts