VIC Custody of Pets After Separation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

XxLuciinaxx

8 October 2018
2 years ago, when my ex and I separated, I took the pets (cat and dog). He has made no attempt to see them over the years. Recently after I adopted another puppy, when trying to register their microchips, it came to my attention that the microchips for the cat and dog were under his name.

I have spent thousands and thousands on these animals and an incredible amount of time training them, they are undoubtedly my fur children.

I filled out transfer of ownership papers, only to get an email back saying that my request at been declined because he told them that the animals are his. What are my options? I need them to be under my name so I can update the contact details and address, and I fear what will happen to them if they get lost or end up with him.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Options:

1. Do nothing
2. Apply to VCAT for an order giving you ownership rights
3. Apply to court for a court order giving you ownership rights.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Do nothing... Nope, buy one of those tags with your phone number on them. Any punter that finds furry friends is gonna call that before the scan for the microchip.

I think it might be automated these days. Next time they are at the vet, ask for them to change the address. They'll likely do it. So the animals are not legally yours but they 'll contact you if the animal gets lost