NSW Custody of Children and Visa for Partner's Child - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
29 March 2016
Hi,

I am applying for a partner visa to Australia for my partner. My partner has a child (6 years old) from a previous marriage, and there is a court decision to remove the custody of children from the father (I think details are not important here), and make the mother as the sole custodian parent.

Now the father has a different nationality from the mother's and the child is holding the mother’s nationality. He is living with her and all court decisions and rulings are in the mother’s country. The Australian immigration is asking to prove that the child is not holding his father’s nationality as well, as that country (might) object granting his visa to Australia

Any help on how to respond? It is a weird and complex situation, and I don’t know what to do.

Thanks

S

Sophea

Perhaps you could contact the country's consulate or embassy and ask for written confirmation that he is not a citizen of their country?