WA Custody of Child and Child's New Zealand Citizenship

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

zar

7 March 2015
I have signed New Zealand citizenship for my daughter.Does that now mean the mother can take her out of the country without my permission?

zar

7 March 2015
Even if there is no court order in place yet? And she is not an Australian citizen? Is there anyway at all the mother can take my daughter out of the country without my permission? Do I need court orders in place to prevent this? how do I protect my daughter from being taken away from me?

zar

7 March 2015
Bit doesn'tthere already need to be a court order in place first before i can place her on that list?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
No. There is a presumption that parents of a child have shared parental responsibility, which means they have that responsibility even without an order in place. This means the mother must have your consent to move abroad with the children. If you believe she may do so without your consent, you can apply to have the children placed on the airport watch list, even while you don't have any orders, because parental responsibility is prevalent regardless of whether there are orders or not.

Reactions: zar

zar

7 March 2015
And did you see my first thread also? That i have already signed new Zealand citizenship for my daughter. Does this still mean even with that paperwork and if she applies for a new Zealand passport that she still can not be taken away from me?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Is she living in Australia primarily?