VIC Current secondary school not helping

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sunmax2

19 June 2018
Hi,

We are somewhat pushing for the campus transfer to go ahead (was disapproved) while looking at other colleges.
Not too fussed about moving, but would like to know if we have any rights for this to happen? Kid missed 1st week of Term 4 and going 2nd second week without any change.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
There's nowhere near enough information in your post for anyone to be able to help you with this. What's the backstory, and what are you hoping to achieve?

sunmax2

19 June 2018
There's nowhere near enough information in your post for anyone to be able to help you with this. What's the backstory, and what are you hoping to achieve?
Basically, they call it "friendship issues", blew up last week of term 3, now this 'conversation' with the School ongoing since.
School offered to change timetable etc I have encouraged the kid to see Child Psych. Bottom line, kid doesn't want to talk about it anymore/right now (crying each time they met up with School staff to talk). Going nowhere for 2 weeks(+ Term3 holidays) I proposed the school to move our kid to other campus til they feel comfortable and still being able to resume school time. It's still getting nowhere and kid still not in any school yet.
I know it's very vague but I don't want to reveal more specifics, just know it's pretty serious if kid isn't happy going to the current Campus, but is eager to learn & attend any school location elsewhere.
What I want to achieve is for the transfer to other campus to happen ASAP. That will give immediate relief.

Last edited:

sunmax2

19 June 2018
School won't budge and keep repeating same "solution" over and over - but it's worthless if ultimately the kid doesn't want to say anything or see them at the current moments.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I understand you don't want to give specifics, but without sufficient information no one here is going to be of much assistance - if they're willing to venture anything at all.

Are we talking bullying by another student? Assault? Abuse from a teacher? What's the solution that has been offered? Why are they resisting a move to another campus? Is the school investigating the matter? Is anyone else involved/contemplated?

There's simply not enough to go on.

sunmax2

19 June 2018
I understand you don't want to give specifics, but without sufficient information no one here is going to be of much assistance - if they're willing to venture anything at all.
Thanks for replying. Name-calling and spreading rumours spanning 2-3 months, by the child's ex-friend.
Only solutions offered are 1on1 consultation with school Chaplain/counsellor, modifying timetable, seeing a Child-psych.
I asked why disapproved, their answer It will be far more successful moving prior to all types of support programs being explored. crucial that we do everything to ensure that a similar situation does not arise..
They were told the story and said already crosschecked with the people involved (group of mutual/girlfriends)

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
It looks like a bullying issue and by the sounds of it, the school is trying to encourage the child to face it rather than run away from it. I agree with that approach, as learning how to deal with such situations is all part of growing up.

One concern here is that missing school could be doing more harm than good. What a child wants is not always what's in the child's best interests and sometimes you need to make decisions that seem painful for the child in the short term, but are the best thing for them in the long term.

I believe that running away is a band-aid, not a solution - and the problem with band-aids is that they eventually fall off. If the child is taught to run from conflict, then they won't learn vital conflict resolution skills that will be so necessary later on in life. So I recommend that you try what the school is proposing, whether the child wants to or not, because if you change campus without doing so, I think it sends the wrong message to the child.

Last edited:

sunmax2

19 June 2018
One concern here is that missing school could be doing more harm than good. What a child wants is not always what's in the child's best interests and sometimes you need to make decisions that seem painful for the child in the short term, but are the best thing for them in the long term.
Feels it's past the point of no return – that she's been keeping it all in too long to mental breakdowns, now she can't take it anymore.
We just want to end her misery immediately and 'move on' to continue her study happily, and I proposed they can still keep an eye on her at new campus.

I agree but she doesn't deserve to go through this again with comments easily circulating thru the school yard by the same group..then poked with a barge pole by school staff.
We had an altercation with her last year (left her feeling betrayed) which I feel are still trying to gain her trust back. And backing her where reasonable – when weighing to change or 'force' her thru this is I believe it is reasonable to move her away.
So it's something else I have to keep in mind.

I'm sure they've had ample time to lay down most the suggestions – but it's the same changing timetable that she is not happy to do.
Nothing is working / happening at the moment.

sunmax2

19 June 2018
So the school has no requirement to resolve this amicably? I am powerless can't do anything about it when the Principals sit on their a*se all day typing the same stale response?