VIC Consequences of Cross Application of Intervention Order?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Arnold

24 April 2018
I hope this is in the correct forum as it didn't seem to fit into the other categories.

I have had a summons for an IVO or intervention order served on me by my ex's current partner based on a disagreement we had, nothing physical just a verbal stoush. I have also cross applied for an IVO.

Are they likely to be heard at the same mention or separately? I was happy to consent without admission as I am happy to have no contact with them but would like to ensure they do the same, I wouldn't want to consent and then have them contest and then all the onus is back on me. Any words of advice on how to tackle this?

If we do end up with a cross IVO and then happen to end up in the same locality, eg my son's school, how does the police deal with that?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
They'll be heard at the same time, and there's a pretty good chance both will be made since it's pretty obvious neither of you wants anything to do with the other. With that said, it's difficult to convict someone if either IVO is breached because it's harder to ascertain which party was actually responsible for breaching the IVO.

Since you have a son with your ex, it's to his benefit that you and the ex's new partner try and be civil toward each other, so maybe you could negotiate mutual undertakings, which is where you both promise to the Court to be civil, but if one of you slips up, there's no criminal charges, there's just an easier pathway for the other to get an IVO.