SA Criminal Law - Illegal to Possess Lockpicks?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mittons

8 March 2016
Hello,

I recently imported a small set of lock picks (5pcs). I am headed interstate to Sydney soon and was wondering if it was illegal under Criminal Law to possess them or to travel with them. My reasons for doing so are to have something to do in my hotel room or to pass the travel time.

Can I get done or have them confiscated?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Possession in itself is not illegal. If it's accompanied by intent to commit a crime, however, then you'll have problems.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I assume you're just travelling domestic, so if they're at all sharp, they might, but if you pack them in your checked baggage, shouldn't be an issue.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I am assuming that you are not a tradesman Locksmith,
and not somebody holding a relevant licence in the security industry.

In South Australia, there is an offence known for short as "Going Equipped".
In NSW, there's an offence known for short as "Possess Implements".

As to airports, understand that you can commit these offences anywhere on the grounds of an airport.
So even if the airline itself has no objections, even having them in your (checked/ checkable) bag
can potentially be a problem.

Further, unless you literally have your own locks to play with,
actually using these tools can amount to further offences.
For example, absent consent, you'll be at risk of prosecution for damaging property
if you tamper with someone else's property - such as a lock anywhere in the hotel,
or a car, or a shop or office.

I suggest finding a better way to use your down time.