QLD Criminal Law - False Identity When Gambling?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
26 October 2018
Hi,

Is it possible to get in trouble under Criminal Law if you use an Alias to create an account with a bookie and they find out your actual identify?

Money was deposited, but never withdrawn before the account got suspended.

I know how stupid this is!

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,

Is it possible to get in trouble if you use an Alias to create an account with a bookie and they find out your actual identify.

Money was deposited, but never withdrawn before the account got suspended.

I know how stupid this is!

I think there is one thing to clarify: if you mean a user name to your account, then you are ok, this is not considered as false identity, it is your user name account, as long as you put the right details in your personal info (and having a user name different than what is your actual name) you are OK, no issues, but if you put a false information in personal details, then you need to amend the information before you start doing any transactions and I think you would be ok .

Contact the entity and amend it before any transactions and it would be ok, (this is my opinion only).

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Depends on why the false name was used. If there is any intent to rip off the bookie then yes - straight away you can get done for making false or misleading statements because your identity in such a case is material information - and that's before you take a single cent from him. If you do then rip him off, then it becomes fraud because falsifying your name is a deceitful act.

If there is no such intent, then you're probably alright in regards to criminal law. Even if the bookie has terms and conditions that state you must provide your real name, that would be a civil matter, not criminal.

However I suspect that if you were to rip off a bookie, any criminal liability would be the least of your problems! :)