SA criminal conviction heard in civil jurisdiction?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bennyfpol

20 August 2017
Hi all. I recently defended a parking fine in the magistrates court and was convicted and sentenced.
I then appeal to a single judge of the supreme court and I've been given a civil file number and the appeal has been listed for arguments to be heard so now its a civil matter? This doesn't add up.
My instincts are screaming "Council hired private lawyer that was acting as counsel to the council and definitely not in the capacity of a prosecutor so how can I be convicted in the criminal jurisdiction with no prosecutor for a matter that is clearly civil? Something stinks IMO

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If you are confused about the court registry process, ring the court and ask.

Bennyfpol

20 August 2017
Registry staff are never straight with me. They have refused to give me paperwork I'm legally entitled to. I've had them try and refuse my applications for enforcement determination revocation hearings. One time a registry staffer even backed up their misinformation by pointing at some text in an unknown publication citing provisions of pretend statutes while refusing to show me. Then when they see I know they're full of it, they do what they're supposed to.
Every time I deal with registry staff they spend 10 minutes reading the screen. Can I see a copy of my file via FOI? I'm guessing the judiciary would have exempted themselves.
If you can assist my understanding I would appreciate it. Right now it seems I've been convicted of a crime that isn't a crime. Civilly speaking nobody suffered an injury so no remedy available.
Isn't an action civil or criminal, not both. Seems like they want to have it both ways.