VIC Court directed mediation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jaspersmum

11 September 2016
I have a drawn out matter with the respondent. As a way of background information, in december 2016 the respondent signed an undertaking with the court not to come near me, mention me on social media, etc which he promptly broke 24 hours after signing.
At that time l let it go as l was emotionally exhausted.
In october 2017 l was asked by members of my cat showing club that l am in, to not to attend a particular show as the respondant was looking to create a scene if l attended and l for the greater good, l agreed.
The respondent has since them emailed two of my girlfriends asking them to influence me to refund money back to a third party which is another breach of the undertaking.
He has also lodged a complaint with my local council about the living conditions of my cats (he has never stepped foot in my premises and does not own one of my cats). I have been and seen the Animal Managment unit manager and explained the situation to him and he also has a copy of the court documents.
I attended court this Friday past and the judge wanted to send the case to mediation and the respondent (a) asked for the case to be moved to his side of town and a day more suitable to him- which was dismissed and then (b) told the judge he will not be coming to any mediation, even though the judge tried to organise a time that would be suitable for him as he complains he has to keep taking time off work (so do l).
I have to provide to the court by 15 March the reason why l want the PSO reinstated and will be using the emails and faacebook post as evidence. I will also be including that l can produce a criminal check as he has also claimed l have a criminal history. He gets to see my proof but l do not get to see his response - is this correct?
He asked the judge if he can bring a solicitor into court and wants costs awarded against me.
I do not understand what costs he would want awarded as he is taking paid leave from work (as am l) and he has not been affected financially.
Is this a case where it would be prudent to engage a solicitor?
I have an insurance background so have a reasonable understanding of the law. Thanking you in anticipation.