VIC Council Traffic Infringement Notice - Dispute for Incorrect Registration Number?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Willard

18 December 2014
Recently I attended a wedding at a church and parked my car at a nearby car park which has 2P parking limit. After the wedding, when I came to the car I found an infringement notice on my windscreen for parking on a permit zone. I only then realized that I have parked the car on permit zone reserved for teachers at a nearby school. When I checked the infringement notice I found that one letter of the registration numbers is wrong . But the make, model and the three digit numbers are correct. Should I disregard the notice or should I write to the council notifying them about the incorrect rego number? Can they ask me the correct number? Am I obliged to provide them the correct rego?

S

Sophea

Hi Willard,

I don't know what state you are in, I assume it is the same for all - but at least in VIC I know that simply having a wrong rego number will not necessarily make your infringement notice invalid. The infringement notice may have other information which can identify you as the driver which would enable the State Road Authority to figure out which vehicle and/or licence to record the infringement and any demerit points against. However, in circumstances where they do not have your licence details and cannot search your registration to find out who you are, then you may have grounds to either contest it or let it slide.

I'm sure you will get a follow up in the mail if they manage to search your correct rego and track you down.

Reactions: Willard

Willard

18 December 2014
What I understand is that after due date, the council will send a letter to the owner about the infringement notice to his address. I will not receive this as the rego is incorrect. What happens next? Can they trace my correct rego from Vicroads? Does Vicroads has an obligation to provide details of car owners to councils if they request?

S

Sophea

Sorry I'm not 100% sure on that Willard, you wouldn't think that its worth all of the effort to track you down, but you never know.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Willard,

1. A mistake on the infringement notice will not invalidate the notice. The notice still stands because you still parked in an incorrect parking space (i.e. committed the wrong). Disputing the notice will not get rid of the fine but it will aggravate the council and they will only re-issue the notice.

2. They may send the letter with the actual fine to the wrong registered address. They may not figure you out and therefore, you may never receive the fine. This depends on what information they have on you (i.e. can they track you down). If there is a possibility that they can, when the letter gets to you, the fine will have increased due to penalties and late payment fees. It is unclear whether disputing such fees will be successful or not. This is your risk to take.

Phildo

1 November 2014
It will also depend on if the infringement machine takes photos. If so, then the photo will have the correct plate number, as well as date, time and GPS co-ordinates. I would assume that by now (2015) infringement machines would have these features.

There will also be possible questions about whether the parking signs were in good condition and clearly displayed.