LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Council Rates - Challenge as land value decreased?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Tony Borics, 29 January 2015.

1. Tony Borics

Tony Borics Member

During the recent Mining boom in the Mackay region, property values also boomed while council rates also inflated to the almost the highest in Queensland. Now the mining boom is gone and property values along with rents have dropped substantially but my rates bill has not reduced and there is talk about further rate rises. I know in the old days a portion of my rates were tied to property value, if this is still the case and can I challenge for a reduction?

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

3. Tracy B

Tracy B Well-Known Member

Hi Tony,

Further to what Victoria S has very helpfully advised, it may be worthwhile to contact the QLD ombudsman and enquire about council rates. I agree with Victoria S that council rates are associated with property value.

4. Tony Borics

Tony Borics Member

Thanks Victoria, Your info was helpful. Yes I have a family home and an investment property which I am paying off. I remember the above case from last year ( I haven't read it all) but did the property owners win the case only to have Cambell Newman change the law at the request of the Local Gov. Association?