QLD Council Rates - Challenge as land value decreased?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tony Borics

29 January 2015
During the recent Mining boom in the Mackay region, property values also boomed while council rates also inflated to the almost the highest in Queensland. Now the mining boom is gone and property values along with rents have dropped substantially but my rates bill has not reduced and there is talk about further rate rises. I know in the old days a portion of my rates were tied to property value, if this is still the case and can I challenge for a reduction?

Victoria S

9 April 2014

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Tony,

Further to what Victoria S has very helpfully advised, it may be worthwhile to contact the QLD ombudsman and enquire about council rates. I agree with Victoria S that council rates are associated with property value.

Tony Borics

29 January 2015
Hi Tony. My understanding is that its tied to the property value. See the Mackay Regional Council "How Rates Are Calculated" page which explains how the council rates are calculated. See the "Discounts and Concessions" page to check whether you're eligible for a discount. Also, are you an owner occupier or an investor? You may find this article useful "Rates challenge hits council budgets" and here's the link to the actual case Paton & Ors v Mackay Regional Council [2014] QSC 75.
Thanks Victoria, Your info was helpful. Yes I have a family home and an investment property which I am paying off. I remember the above case from last year ( I haven't read it all) but did the property owners win the case only to have Cambell Newman change the law at the request of the Local Gov. Association?