NSW Council Easement - Dead and Dying Tree Removal Responsibility?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Philip C

4 March 2020
Our local council has a 1.83m easement along one of our boundaries which is used to take storm water from the road to a creek running through our property. The easement now has dead or dying trees along its 100 odd metre length and I wish to know who is responsible for their removal. Some of the trees could fall onto our electrical and telephone lies and also could block the only access / egress into the property.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Philip C - which state/territory are you in? Easement laws can vary wildly.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Philip C
  1. I assume that the easement on your property's title is section 88A easement aka "easement in gross" for a water drainage easement under the Conveyancing Act 1919 (NSW). You should check this first!
  2. There are two (2) types of water drainage easements which are typically owned by councils/LGAs, that is:
    1. Easement to drain water - Schedule 4A Part 3
    2. Easement for drainage of water - Schedule 4A Part 7
  3. Both water drainage easement types allow Council/LGA to access and perform any necessary repair works, etc.
  4. Section 59A of the Local Government Act 1993 (NSW) also allows councils/LGAs to maintain, repair, etc. stormwater drainage.
  5. If my understanding is correct, you are best to take some photos, set out your concerns in writing/email and request that Council maintains/repairs the dead and dying trees on the easement to avoid any damage to you/your property.
Good luck!