QLD Council - Am I Entitled to Have Rates Recovered?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dclayw

1 February 2017
On 12 Dec 2016, I settled on an OTP apartment in Brisbane. The rate notice (for the period 1 Oct 2016 to 31 Dec 2016) was for the original parcel of land (before individual apartment titles were registered) This was adjusted at settlement.

I have now received a rate notice for the actual apartment. The notice covers the period 8 Nov 2016 to 31 Mar 2017. This includes the period 8 Nov 2016 to 12 Dec 2016 when I did not own the property.

Am I legally entitled to recover the rates from the seller for this period when I did not own the property?

dclayw

1 February 2017
Forgot to mention . Brisbane City Council have not yet updated property owner records for the apartment so this latest rates notice was issued to the original owner. Not sure if that would make any difference.

dclayw

1 February 2017
An update. Rates for actual apartment was not assessed 'till 9 days after settlement, so it was not possible to apportion those rates at settlement. Developer's solicitor has agreed to arrange payment for that portion of the rates for the period I did not own the property.