WA Correspondence with child support

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stevenjon

3 April 2019
I received a letter from child support that I am to pay 13,000 per year. My question is is it illegal they accessed my imcome without my knowledge. Also what happens if I refuse to pay as I find this a very high amount .

Atticus

6 February 2019
CSA can legally access a lot of info. ATO included.

Have you done the on line child support calculator? That should be fairly close to what they have accessed unless they are using a different care % or something

sammy01

27 September 2015
Don't mess with CSA.
Nope it is not illegal. CSA is a govt department and is linked to the ATO. If they didn't have the legal capacity to check incomes then every second payer would claim to be unemployed in order to avoid paying.

If you refuse to pay, they will hunt you down. They have the capacity to apply to court to get the debt.
5.4.2 The Registrar's Power to Bring Proceedings | Child Support Guide
I have no doubt that if it came to that CSA would make a cost application against you, so you could wind up paying their legal bills.... CSA have an endless bucket of money to pay solicitors. I'm guessing you don't...