NSW Coparenting where other parent in and out of Rehab

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
13 May 2020
Hi all,

Has anyone else here had this experience? We are currently coparenting 3 kids between 2 households with the other parent (mother) being the primary carer. Her partner was in Rehab for almost a year during 2018 and I've just found out that he's been back in Rehab since April. I believe the drug in question is Ice, where do I stand here regarding custody, I've been tip toeing around a legal battle due to them restricting my access completely if I don't do exactly what they say. They are in complete control and the kids are often used as weapons against me, if I don't adhere to X or follow Y I wont see them.

Some notable comments from my kids;

- Why don't you and X(my partner) fight?
- Mum and X(Drug addicted partner)hit eachother

Other notable items;

- We're told they were evicted from a property due to on-going issues/complaints from neighbours (DV?)
- The partner was on house arrest for a period of time in 2019.
- The kids are not currently doing ANY school work during COVID while in her care, the school has contacted us about this but we aren't the primary carers.

My main concern right now is the on-going in and out of Rehab, I don't want my kids to think this is "normal" behaviour and their welfare. I can't see what is happening at the other house and my kids are scared to tell me things as they get punished for it if I bring it up with the mother.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I've been tip toeing around a legal battle due to them restricting my access completely if I don't do exactly what they say. They are in complete control and the kids are often used as weapons against me, if I don't adhere to X or follow Y I wont see them.

So what are they saying you have to do?
Adhere to what?
How old are the kids
How many nights care do you have per week?