Cop told me he was warning me, I received fine in the post

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MichelleR92

3 October 2017
I was pulled over a few weeks ago for crossing a solid line. I gave the cop my international drivers license and he asked how long I had been in Australia and if I have received any other fines. I told him I had been here less than a year (on a student visa) and I have received no fines in the time I have been here (that was the first time I have been pulled over in my life). He rattled on about all the costs involved and how they can stop me from driving in the country etc and told me he was giving me a warning. I apologised and thanked him and that was the end of the conversation. I then got a fine in the post for the offence. I was shocked as I was told I was just receiving a warning and he did not mention a fine whatsoever. Is there any way I can dispute this as I believe I was not informed I was going to receive the fine.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I believe I was not informed I was going to receive the fine.

This is not a valid reason for challenging a fine.

In what state did the offence occur? And what kind of solid line (a line to separate cars moving in opposite directions or the thick line at traffic lights?

MichelleR92

3 October 2017
NSW. I was changing lanes (cars moving in the same direction), the line is solid for about 6-8m then changes back to being dotted. It was well before traffic lights. There are in fact no lines there at the moment, haven't been for weeks as the road was repaved and has not been repainted. If I committed an offence and he told me I was receiving a fine I would be quite willing to pay. I was just shocked to receive this fine as there was no conversation about it. Just a warning. He barely even touched on the offence.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What road rule have they fined you for? It will be stated on the fine. Just wondering if 6 metres of line constitutes a continuous line.

There may be a technicality, and with the road now re-paved you may have a chance to get off on lack of evidence especially if you elect to go to court with a photo taken now before the lines are re-marked.

Alternative is to pay and be more careful in future.

Some in the community here believe police on our roads are often being used as government tax collectors under the guise of road safety.

Clancy

6 April 2016
You should write in and ask them to check with the officer what happened? If he said you were getting a warning, why did you get a fine? Its a reasonable question? No guarantee it will get you out of the fine in the end though because nothing to stop the policeman simply lying and say he never said you were getting a warning.... on the off chance he is honest, he may say "oh yea, i made a mistake, it was supposed to just be a warning" .... so no harm in asking - nothing ventured, nothing gained.