Contracter issue. Taken customers from database of company I was contracted to.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tasha Gabriel

30 November 2017
Hi!
I was contracted to a company to run training for them. There was no written contract. When I was there I was given access to the companies database to use for advertising and emailing so to generate business. I have since left and the database has grown somewhat since I brought customers in through training. I am now using the database in my new business and the owners of that company are threatening legal action. Where do I stand here?????

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Basically, you've stolen their property
and have used it for your own commercial gain.
So yes, you do have a problem.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree with Tim.

Clancy

6 April 2016
I suppose the OP is asking because he did not sign a confidentiality agreement?

So then the question is, if you did not contract with an employee what is confidential, then can you later say "stop using our confidential information"?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
You don't need a confidentiality agreement when property is protected by IP. It helps, but is not essential.

Clancy

6 April 2016
You don't need a confidentiality agreement when property is protected by IP. It helps, but is not essential.

Well that's confusing.... "you don't need it/but it helps" ? That suggests some kind of weakness in the primary law that needs helping?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Not confusing to me :) Good luck getting the judges to change well established legal principles.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I suppose the OP is asking because he did not sign a confidentiality agreement?

So then the question is, if you did not contract with an employee what is confidential, then can you later say "stop using our confidential information"?
Nah.
This is not one of those times where "Well, it doesn't say you can't." will have any weight as a defence.

A formal confidentiality agreement is redundant - pretty much any court will find such a term implied in any contract of this type..
What you'll find is that, express term or not, it's part of the general duty of an employee to keep business material/ information/ content/. records/ secrets etc confidential.

That's equally true of contractors (and, indeed, of sham contractors).
Not only will it be implied into any purported contract (whether the terms are ever written down or not),
it will also be found to apply at common law.

And that's before we get into IP 101 stuff like breach of copyright by making
an infringing copy of the data, and the unjust enrichment derived from unlawful use of the data.

Reactions: Clancy

Clancy

6 April 2016
Nah.
This is not one of those times where "Well, it doesn't say you can't." will have any weight as a defence.

A formal confidentiality agreement is redundant - pretty much any court will find such a term implied in any contract of this type..
What you'll find is that, express term or not, it's part of the general duty of an employee to keep business material/ information/ content/. records/ secrets etc confidential.

That's equally true of contractors (and, indeed, of sham contractors).
Not only will it be implied into any purported contract (whether the terms are ever written down or not),
it will also be found to apply at common law.

And that's before we get into IP 101 stuff like breach of copyright by making
an infringing copy of the data, and the unjust enrichment derived from unlawful use of the data.

A formal confidentiality agreement is redundant? Ok that's interesting to know!

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
A formal confidentiality agreement is redundant?

In context - Employer and employee/contractor. Business to business is different.