Contract

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ron53

27 January 2021
HI All, please help me if this is an issue

Iam currently employed by company "A" to work for their client company "B"
company "B" is in turn contracted to work for company "C" ; so iam working on company "C" offices

now what happens is company "B" looses contract with "C"
and company "D" wins the contract and approaches me with a job to continue work for "C", so i will be on company "D" payroll.

so Iam in breach of contract? there is a clause in my contract not to engage directly/indireclty with any client , so not sure what will be in this case
can current employer take any action?

thanks in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It is unlikely to be breach. Company A's client according to your contract is likely company B.

Working for Company D who has company C as a client does not appear to be an issue. Though I can't say with certainty not having read the contract.

Quite common in the contracting industry and many contracting companies accept this is the way of the world. Hard to know if company A will try to make things difficult or just let you go with no fight. Worth a call explaining what you intend to do and see how they respond.

Jenny453

8 December 2020
Oh so you have 'big company" little companies competing to get contract from 'big company". 'big company" likes competition drives price down. Little companies have no profit margin but 'big company" might give another contract. If yo ae getting paid like you expect and are happy where you are just go with it or leave. You could apply to 'big company" but 'big company" doesn't like commitment 🙄

Jenny453

8 December 2020
And if you feel loyal leave and follow when your ready, I don't think they would take you for breach, be cheaper to hire two mini yous and someone to manage the minis. You should start your own company sound loyal etc